SEO - a must do strategy for a successful website
Search Engine Optimization
There is a very famous saying, “You can’t build a great building on a weak foundation”. That is exactly what a website has become to every business today, a foundation! Each conglomerate, businessman and entrepreneur knows this cardinal truth. No wonder there are over 1 billion websites out there on the internet. It begs the question, is a fancy website is sufficient to create brand awareness? Well, definitely not!
We live in a technology-dominated century. Most of us spend much of our time on the internet these days. And it gets more and more so, now since smartphones made their way into our lives. The key is to be able to capture the attention of web surfers as they pass you, then hold their interest when they are at your website, and finally, leave them a reason that makes them want to return.
Here’s how… Develop a website as per the latest trends and techniques. Once your website is ready for launch don’t forget to check another vital step to attract visitors - a consistent, continuous SEO program.
SEO or Search engine optimization is a strategy used to rank your website on the first page of Search Engines. SEO is successful if it is done systematically, effectively & continuusly. It then helps attract quality visitors as well as increases brand awareness. Due to increased competition on the digital front, maintaining top ranking gets more and more challenging. However, if your SEO is planned well, the competition will not affect you or pull your ranking down.
SEO is distributed in two parts:
- On-page SEO, done internally on the website.
- Off page SEO, done externally.
Points to be considered while doing On-page optimization are:
- Title of the website: Name of the company/type of the business
- Meta Tags: 8-10 Keywords & a brief Description
- User friendly navigation (Menu bar, breadcrumbs)
- Proper text formatting: For example: Paragraph headings such as H1, H2, H3, etc. should be in bold
- Unique and SEO friendly content: Content is the king, so make sure you keep updating a fresh & good quality content regularly
- Add image ALT tag: The images should have proper titles, resolution, as well as use ALT tag (e.g:
- Avoiding 404 errors
- External Links: External links should be relevant to your business
- Website loading speed: Check if the website loading time is less than 5 secs. If not, you might lose visitors. Who has the time to ‘stand and stare’ today?
- Google Analytics code: Register your website at www.analytics.google.com. You will get a code which can be added on the webpage. This will help you to trace the number of visitors & their activity on the website
- Robots.txt file: A robots.txt file is used to give instructions about a site to the web robots
- Sitemap.xls: Uploading a sitemap.xls is a must too
Off-page optimization covers all the activities that are done outside of the website. It is an on-going process and thus needs to be updated and followed on a regular basis. The Off-page optimization covers:
- Directory listing: Submit your website in all the local directories
- Business Listing: There are various business listing websites where you can submit your business details. It should be updated in all the business listings depending on your target audience
- Forum Listings: Participate actively in all the local/business related forums
- Questions & answers: Most popular amongst them is is Yahoo answers
- Article submissions: Publish articles on well-known submission portals. Unique and good quality articles definitely attract more traffic to a website
- Blog submission: Like articles good quality blogs too help in attracting web traffic
- Press Release: Share relevant news and updates of your business through press releases. It is useful, however it is restricted to the type of the business you run
- Social media: Amongst the most important and effective activity any business owner should follow. Create your business pages on Facebook, twitter, Instagram, LinkedIn and YouTube. These platforms help a lot in creating a strong brand awareness
There are various marketing agencies that have experienced staff who conduct quality analysis for a website and optimize it as per the latest trends and techniques. There are also, many easy to use free tools available on the web that a non-specialist may choose to use to optimize their website. It totally depends on which option suits you better.